Comfort and Care at the End of Life
Hospice care from a dedicated and caring team can make a meaningful difference for those facing end of life, and for their loved ones. The hospice team can reduce physical pain, ease emotional and spiritual suffering, and facilitate financial and legal activities as needed.
Hospice may be appropriate for any person who has a terminal illness and a prognosis of six months or less. Through hospice support, we strive to enhance the person’s remaining time and to make end-of-life as peaceful and fulfilling as possible. Hospice care can be delivered anywhere: in a person’s home, assisted living facility, nursing home or wherever the person chooses to spend their final weeks or months.
Hospice visits focus on making the patient comfortable. Services may include:
- Palliative care, including pain management through medications
- Administering other medications, as prescribed by the physician
- Personal care for the patient, in a manner that respects the individual’s dignity. The hospice CNA may teach family or caregivers how to provide care, such as how to turn a person who is bedridden or how to feed the person
- Assistance with resources including financial aid, funeral arrangements and Healthcare Power of Attorney
- Spiritual support from the Chaplain and spiritual volunteers
- Companionship, such as reading a book aloud, playing cards, talking together or simply sitting with the person
- Emotional support for the patient and family members
- Visits from volunteers, to provide companionship for the patient and to offer respite for the caregivers
CNS Hospice features a dedicated staff with many years of experience helping individuals and families through the end-of-life phase.
Our team includes:
- Physician medical director, who has won many awards for excellence and commitment in home health care service
- Hospice nurses and certified nursing assistants
- Hospice social workers
- Volunteers, including hospice volunteers (companions), bereavement volunteers and spiritual volunteers
Location and Hours
Serving the greater DuPage area, many services are available 24 hours a day. We are here to bring healthcare services to your home or care facility.
Call for an Appointment
For more information call (630) 665-7000 or to refer a person for hospice care, please call (630) 665-7006. A physician order will be needed so the patient can be evaluated.
A Sincere Commitment to Help
CNS Hospice has earned a reputation for excellence in service and pain management. In surveys of families served by Hospice, 97% of all patients and families were pleased with the way pain was managed. The hospice program here offers seven different bereavement support groups for family and friends who have experienced loss. These free groups are open to the public, regardless of affiliation with Central DuPage Hospital.
Are Services Covered?
When faced with end-of-life challenges, it’s difficult to think about payments. Fortunately, Medicare covers all hospice services related to terminal illness. Most commercial insurers also have a hospice benefit. (Check with your insurer for specific details.) Self-pay is another option for funding.
Please be assured that CNS Hospice will not turn a patient away because he or she cannot pay.