The Area's Leader for Trauma Care
Trauma care is never a planned event – but it’s something you should plan for. A car accident, a bad fall, burns, choking … Traumas like these occur all too often. It’s reassuring to know that DuPage County’s leading trauma center is close by at Central DuPage Hospital.
One of the Busiest Trauma Centers in DuPage County
We’re experts at treating victims of trauma. We see more than 50,000 patient visits per year by trauma and emergency patients. That means our trauma team has the experience and expertise to handle nearly every situation, from serious illness to serious injury, for children and adults of all ages.
Central DuPage Hospital is one of only 47 Level II trauma centers in the entire state of Illinois. We’ve maintained our status as a Level II center since the Illinois Department of Public Health began its designation system in 1997, yet our experience in trauma care reaches back nearly 25 years.
Comprehensive Care for Complex Injuries
We believe a comprehensive approach is the best way to treat complex injuries. We use a team approach to provide comprehensive, high-quality care for each patient, from the moment the individual arrives in the trauma center through the recovery period.
At Central DuPage Hospital, patients with multiple injuries benefit from the capabilities and experience of our multidisciplinary team: emergency medicine physicians, trauma surgeons, specially trained emergency nurses and other specialists work as one to meet each patient’s specific needs.
Preventing Trauma Before It Occurs
The best remedy for trauma is to prevent it in the first place. Along with our extensive expertise in treating victims of trauma, we’re also committed to helping people avoid traumatic injuries.
Working with neighboring communities, our team conducts educational programs aimed at preventing trauma. These programs are directed to all ages, from preventing common childhood accidents like poisonings or choking, to helping older adults avoid falls.
The trauma center at Central DuPage Hospital provides the full range of Level II services, depending on each patient’s unique needs. Common services include:
- Pre-hospital medical care to stabilize victims at the scene of injury
- Timely surgical intervention
- X-ray and CT scan located right in the Emergency Department, for prompt diagnosis
- Resources for childhood emergencies, including a pediatric intensivist on-site in the hospital 24 hours a day and a pediatric intensive care unit for recovery
- Helicopter landing site for air ambulance, to get patients to the hospital quickly from the site of an accident or crisis
- Advanced life support (ALS) ambulance transfer service, for timely transfer of patients who need more advanced care at a Level I trauma center
- Lab services
- Respiratory care
- Spiritual support
- Rehabilitative care, through affiliated resources
With extensive experience in trauma care, the trauma center team represents a broad range of specializations. The team includes:
- 15 board-certified emergency medicine physicians
- 53 emergency department nurses, who have specialty training in the care of trauma patients
- 8 trauma surgeons, with an average of 14 years of experience each
- Other sub-specialists as needed: general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, cardiac surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc.
- Staff nurses with additional training in trauma care
- Pediatric intensivist – a physician who specializes in treating critically ill children