Consider the following statistics, as they relate to the endocrine system:
- About 80,000 cases of acute pancreatitis occur in the United States each year.
- Addison's disease and Cushing's syndrome are rare diseases that involve the adrenal glands.
- Graves' disease is a condition that causes an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and affects less than 1 percent of the US population.
- The most common form of thyroid disorders, hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), affects 5 million US adults, mainly women over 40 years old.
- Hyperparathyroidism, in which the parathyroid is overactive, affects about 100,000 US adults.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Endocrinology